The Myth of the Unqualified Minorities: Affirmative Action

Abigail Fisher

Abigail Fisher is a self-entitlement crybaby, who falsely believed she didn’t get into UT Austin because of her race. She assumed so based off of her belief that unqualified minorities must have taken her spot.

Further inspection, however, revealed that Fisher simply wasn’t a competitive enough student to qualify for a spot. UT Austin’s Top Ten Percent Plan accounts for 92 percent of its admissions, with the plan guaranteeing Texas high school seniors within the top ten percent of their graduating class admission to the university. Thus, spots for the remaining 8 percent are extremely competitive. And while race is a factor, it’s only one part of a comprehensive scoring system. Race, along with socioeconomic status and family background, create the Personal Achievement Index (PAI); and grades, essays, and activities make up the Academic Index (AI). So of the 841 students who made the 8 percent cut, only 47 had PAI/AI scores that were lower than Fisher’s, and 42 of them were white. On the other end of the spectrum, the University rejected 168 minority students with scores higher than hers, making her argument entirely baseless. Nonetheless, when the 5th Circuit Court of Appeals denied Fisher’s claim, she took the case to the Supreme Court in 2013 and will again this year. Given the shifts in the Supreme Court Justices, some speculate that this appeal may actually work out in her favor.

Affirmative Action vs. White Privilege

Neither Fisher nor Blum mentioned those 42 applicants in interviews. Nor did they acknowledge the 168 black and Latino students with grades as good as or better than Fisher’s who were also denied entry into the university that year. Also left unsaid is the fact that Fisher turned down a standard UT offer under which she could have gone to the university her sophomore year if she earned a 3.2 GPA at another Texas university school in her freshman year.

States on College Admission and Scholarships 

MARTIN: Now, you just heard Colby Bohannan say that he had a difficult time finding scholarships that he was eligible for. Is it true that minorities are more likely to receive college scholarships?

Mr. KANTROWITZ: In fact, they are less likely to receive college scholarships. And they represent about a third of the applicants, but only about 28 percent of the recipients. Caucasian students receive 72 percent of all scholarships. Minority students receive only 28 percent of all scholarships.

Unigo tells you the 5 scholarships facts that a good portion of the country doesn’t believe.

Unigo tackles the 10 scholarship myths.

Leave a comment

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: